On 09/01/2013 13:56, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
I think I've seen this one before and got curious about it as well. It seems that Craig is advocating 1-1 mapping between nodes and roles and that makes me think of the 'roles' as a sort of poor man's ENC. As such, I'd be very curious to hear what kind of issues do you think it will help you solve. Now, having 'profiles' as the place to handle inter-module dependencies seems like a pretty good idea. Thanks, Roman.

The point was not a 1-1 mapping between nodes and roles (although that was mentioned), the key point I was trying to make is to add layers of classes to provide abstraction between your node definition (whether thats in an ENC or site.pp) and the components that get pulled in.

If my post is tl;dr I'll summarise it with;

I have two modules called 'roles' and 'profiles', and other modules we'll just refer to as 'component modules' and nodes have role classes applied to them, which include profiles, which include component modules

* A role contains business logic
* A profile defines the logical software stack that defines what components are needed * The component modules are the building blocks that manage resources (eg: ssh, mysql, apache...)

Theres probably a few ways of achieving the same thing - but they key here is abstracting the components from the nodes.

Craig

--
Craig Dunn
Professional Services