On 09/01/2013 20:03, Roman Shaposhnik wrote:
* A role contains business logic
Could you give an example here? What else are roles, but a flat collection
of profiles?

Essentially yes, thats all they are and while I generally opt to make them classes you could do this from within an ENC instead. The implementation is not as important as the concept, so if you want to replace the roles function with groups of profiles in an ENC you'll still get the same benefits.

One reason I keep roles in code is it allows me to be a bit more flexible. For example I can use inheritance to minimize duplication roles::appserver::foo roles::appserver::bar....etc inheriting from roles::appserver where I might have stuff like tomcat.

Craig

--
Craig Dunn
Professional Services