On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM, Jonathan Gazeley
<jonathan.gaze...@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 24/01/13 15:18, Matthew Burgess wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM,  <jg4...@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> This occurs even with the before => Yumrepo['atomic'] and require = >
>>> Package['atomic-release'] lines in place, which is not what I expect. Am
>>> missing a subtlety?
>>
>> I'd be tempted to remove the 'before' parameter to the package;
>> declare the dependency in just one place,i.e. the yumrepo.  I'd also
>> try adding "provider => 'rpm'" to the package, just to ensure it's not
>> trying to find the RPM in one of your existing repos.
>>

> Thanks for your response. I initially tried it without the 'before', and
> only added the 'before' when I noticed that it wasn't worked as expected.
>
> I'll have a go at explicitly setting the RPM provider. Trouble is, it's
> quite hard to test this because it seems hit and miss whether new nodes mess
> up the order or not.

Yeah, that suggests the dependency chain hasn't been declared
correctly; puppet, in the absence of dependency info, will apply
manifests in any order it cares to.  It might be worth turning on the
dependency graphing support on your puppet master
(http://docs.puppetlabs.com/references/3.0.latest/configuration.html#graph
and graphdir directly below that).  That is probably just going to
confirm what you already suspect though, that there isn't a dependency
between your yumrepo and the package, despite it looking like you've
declared one.

Thanks,

Matt.