> As far as the large time differences, there are multiple references "out
> there" to a
> line at the top of ntp.conf as follows:
>
> tinker panic 0
>
> This tells the system to accept any offset that is handed to it.

By "large time differences" I meant between different servers on the network.
We ran ntpd out of cron every couple of hours without problem on RedHat
Enterprise Linux 5 for a few years.  When we upgraded to RHEL 6 we noticed the
clocks on different machines could differ by several seconds between ntpd runs,
wreaking havoc on our log analysis tools.  Perhaps if we increased the
frequency of the cronjobs to every 15 minutes as suggested by NASA it wouldn't
be so bad, but we decided to run ntpd continuously on every machine.