On 10 July 2013 18:57, Ashley Penney <ashley.pen...@puppetlabs.com> wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> As I mentioned in a previous email I've refactored ntp and released a
> 1.0.0 release candidate.  There's one outstanding "flaw" remaining that's
> bothering me and I wanted to solicit opinions on the list.  We currently
> maintain a template per distribution that is close to the stock
> distribution provided ntp configuration.  This leads to massive sprawl and
> means adding a distribution means yet another template.

I can see your point of view regarding sprawl/extending to additional
distributions.  However, see below.

> Would users of the ntp module mind if we unified this all into a single
> template?  Obviously we'd have to pick one as the best "base" template and
> move over to using it and deal with the fact that your ntp configuration
> would significantly change.

As a sysadmin, that significant change is more important.  I like to keep
services configured as the distribution does so out of the box, unless
there's a specific reason not to.  As such, I'd like the diffs between the
RPM-provided config file and the puppet-provided template to be as small as
possible so that when an agent picks the change up, it's obvious what/why
the change has been made.
  Additionally, this helps when an RPM upgrade occurs and a .rpmsave file
is generated; diffing a close-to-stock config file again will be much
easier to audit for potential changes to pick up.

With all that said, if the consensus is to provide a single template, it's
easily overridable using the config_template parameter, so I can just drop
the stock RHEL-provided file in there myself.

Regards,

Matt.