On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM, jcbollinger <john.bollin...@stjude.org>wrote:

> Currently, users have the alternative of specifying their own custom
> template instead of one of those packaged with the module.  If the proposed
> change would remove that option, then it would be a significant step
> backward.
>
> If, however, the question is merely whether it would be important to me
> for the module by default to apply an NTP config file that is as similar as
> possible to my distro's stock file, then no, that is not an issue at all.
>

> John

We definitely won't remove that feature - I'm going to try really hard not
to remove any current features of any modules during our work to improve
them.  Nothing is more frustrating than having some feature you rely on
torn out underneath you.  I was just talking in terms of having a single
stock template we use as the default and then allowing people to pass in
their distribution specific one if they need it.

I replied to this mail but I want to thank everyone replying for keeping
the conversation going.  I'll look at making sure it's possible to run ntp
out of cron (I don't know if we'll include it in the module but you can set
$manage_service to false (or service_ensure => stopped) to run it out of
cron.

I'll also dig in and look at the driftfile and make sure we manage that
properly too!

Thanks everyone,