Bought a few months ago a random graphic card based on GTX 480, works
very well, available in any PC store in the street -- easier than
buying an older generation one (e.g. GTX 280, much mentioned in
tutorials but harder to find and slower)

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_Series for a comparison
of the models in the series. Basic number to look at is the first one
in the triple in column "Config core": it is the number of shaders,
aka "cuda cores".

Caution: don't forget that you may need a stronger power supply than
standardly shipped in your computer: minimum 500 or 550 Watts (depend
on the GPU model). Bringing back the GPU only to find the lack of
power supply was like one of those Christmases when you open a
wonder-toy that the batteries are not included and that all the stores
are closed for the week-end ;)

Hope this helps, enjoy the shopping.

Julien