Julien Cornebise wrote:

> Bought a few months ago a random graphic card based on GTX 480, works
> very well, available in any PC store in the street -- easier than
> buying an older generation one (e.g. GTX 280, much mentioned in
> tutorials but harder to find and slower)
>
> See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_Series for a comparison
> of the models in the series. Basic number to look at is the first one
> in the triple in column "Config core": it is the number of shaders,
> aka "cuda cores".
>
> Caution: don't forget that you may need a stronger power supply than
> standardly shipped in your computer: minimum 500 or 550 Watts (depend
> on the GPU model). Bringing back the GPU only to find the lack of
> power supply was like one of those Christmases when you open a
> wonder-toy that the batteries are not included and that all the stores
> are closed for the week-end ;)
>
> Hope this helps, enjoy the shopping.
>
> Julien

 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_400_Series says:

"In the more expensive "Tesla" configurations, the chip features optional
ECC protection on the memory, and can perform one double-precision floating-
point operation per cycle per core; the consumer GeForce cards are
artificially driver restricted to one DP operation per four cycles. "

So, if I want double-precision float performance, what are my choices?