For algorithms you could try Weave, a package in SciPy, no need to compile
with any compiler, it just runs, Fast.
Check these <http://www.scipy.org/PerformancePython> comparisons out, the
only thing faster than Pyrex, C++ on Weave, without the additional memory
overhead of Pyrex :-)

Kind Regards,
Patrick Atambo.