James> I just put up a new snapshot of devel pygtk at:
    James>   http://www.gnome.org/~james/pygtk2-SNAP-20010330.tar.gz

    James> It requires python >= 2.0 and recent CVS checkouts of glib, pango
    James> and gtk+ to compile.  It is not fully up to date with all the API
    James> additions/changes, but it compiles and runs.

*sigh*...

I realize the gnome folks are trying to do me a favor by making it harder
for me to build glib, pango and gtk+ so that it is correspondingly harder to
shoot myself in the foot, but I'd like to experiment with James's new
release and find it frustrating that I should need to know the ins and outs
of autoconf and/or automake.  Would someone please tell me how to create
./configure?  I tried "autoconf" in the glib dir and got a configure script,
but also this error (and a bunch of warnings about AC_TRY_RUN):

    autoconf: Undefined macros:
    configure.in:201:AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL

I get the same error when running autoconf on gtk+.  No error when running
in the pango dir, but in all three directories, when I run the generated
configure script I get:

    ./configure: line 602: syntax error near unexpected token
`AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE,'
    ./configure: line 602: `AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE($PACKAGE, $VERSION, no-define)'

Every other package I've ever pulled by CVS that uses GNU configure to
generate config.h has come with a working configure script.  Why can't these
packages?

If it makes any difference, I have autoconf 2.14.1 and automake 1.4.

Thanks,

--
Skip Montanaro ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
(847)971-7098