On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Skip Montanaro wrote:

>     James> I put together a new snapshot while at GUADEC ...
>
> Thanks very much.  I found it and it installed just fine.
>
>     James> It will work fine with the glib/gtk+ 1.3.3 releases (along with
>     James> whatever version of pango was released at the time).
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem with pango.  The following simple script gets
> a number of GRuntime-CRITICAL errors, then repeatedly tries to open
> /usr/local/lib/pango/modules/pango-basic-x.so.la, which fails, finally
> terminating with a floating point exception:
>
>     import gtk
>     win = gtk.GtkWindow()
>     t = gtk.GtkTextView()
>     win.add(t)
>     win.connect("destroy", gtk.mainquit)
>     win.show_all()
>     gtk.mainloop()
>
> Does it run for you?  If so, I have some config problems.  If not, perhaps
> there is something wrong with pango and/or glib and/or libtool.

This is a known problem.  You have to either have to modify the pango and
gtk+ makefiles and build with cvs or 1.3d libtool so that all the pango,
gdk-pixbuf and input method modules have correct dependencies, or modify
python to pass the RTLD_GLOBAL flag when dlopen'ing extensions.

The second option is easier (Red Hat has a patch to do it in their python
rpms), but the first is probably the correct fix.  I talked with the gtk+
maintainers at GUADEC, and they don't want to rely on the beta version of
libtool in the official packages.  Hopefully libtool 1.4 will be released
soon though.

James.

--
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]