At 6:27 PM +0000 5/4/06, JUAN ERNESTO FLORES BELTRAN wrote:
>Steve McClure wrote:
>
>>The theme is specific to the desktop and varies with each
>>installation.
>
>then, how can i maintain the nice looking independently of the
>system/installation my code is running on??
>
>>Do you not like the color of your text input
>>boxes, or do you like rounded buttons versus squarish buttons.  Or do
>>you need a widget that doesn't function at all like any other out there?
>
>i just not like the color/shape/etc of the default pygtk installation i want
>to improve it and keep it consistent independently of the
>system/installation my code is running on...no matter the system i run the
>code on or the theme is installed, i want the nice looking to remain
>intact...how is it possible?
>
>Sorry for being so insistent, but this point is very important for my
>application....
>i apprettiate any help or suggestion...

You are fighting the intent of GTK, and you will have difficulty.  The best
suggestion I've seen is to ship a self-contained app with it's own GTK and
theme.  On MSWindows, this should be easy enough (it's probably what you'd
do anyway), and MSWindows users won't mind a goofy looking app.

There are good reasons for overriding themes:  to show additional state to
the user, or to catagorize or group related controls.  Just be careful that
what you do will survive in other themes and will work for the visually
impaired (even the colorblind).