John Pye wrote:
Agreed, but it's really not necessary: msvcr71 is included with Python
2.5. It is not a problem of the file not being availble; the problem is
the PyGTK isn't finding the file, or (alternatively) that Python 2.5
isn't putting it in the right place (ie in the system32 folder -- by
there might be a good reason for that).

Python is following MS recommended practice by not putting msvcr71 in system32 -- it at least originally was not to be treated as an OS system library, but rather a runtime library to be distributed with applications as needed.

Under what conditions is it not found? When python.exe is run, the .dll in the same directory should be loaded.

I suspect that the Python installer should perhaps be modified so that
msvcr71.dll is placed in the correct location. Alternatively, 'rpaths'
could maybe be encoded into the PyGTK and other DLLs so that the
required file is found automatically without modifications to the PATH.
If relative a rpath is works then this could be OK, conceivably.

rpaths doesn't exist on win32, to the best of my knowledge.

Cheers,

John