Thank you Mike and Jose for your answers.

@ Mike

Where was the 'static'  follder situated on your file system? Is it on
another drive? My Apache server is on drive C:and all my pylons
projects live on  D:. Actually I have had that to work well for
templates, I create alternate directories for them and I add them to
the list, that works, the only difference is that the Pylon project
and the new template directoty are on the same disc.

@Jose

I have actually tried that out. As I mention, that works well on
Linux. Are you using Vhosts as well on windows? This is what my config
looks like. As yu see, I have tried both absolute paths, and it still
did not work as expected. The Apache version is 2.2.4. Pylons 0.95

<VirtualHost *>
        ServerName localhost
        #UseCanonicalName Off

        #C:/xampp/apache/htdocs
        # D:/Projects/Pylons_projects/testapp/testapp/public
        DocumentRoot /
        ProxyRequests Off

        ProxyPass / http://localhost:5000
        ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:5000