On Sep 12, 2009, at 12:11, Christian Heimes <li...@cheimes.de> wrote:

Andi Vajda wrote:
Do you really ? If so why ?
If there is a library mismatch, can I not recompile Python 2.5
with VC++ 2008 ?

Distutils doesn't allow to compile extensions with another version of
MSVC than the version Python has been compiled with. The official build
of Python 2.5 is compiled with VS 2003. The source code contains an
experimental and unsupported build directory for VS 2005. In theory you
could recompile Python with VS 2005 or even 2008 but you'd have to
compile all extension yourself, too.

Library mismatches are prohibited by distutils because they may lead to
ugly and hard to debug crashes. For example you can't use file and
memory functions like close() and free() on memory and file pointers
from another MSVCRT.

Yeah, I remember now. I guess Hugo should move to Python 2.6 - it's built with VC++ 2008, right? - if getting the older VC++ compiler is not possible.

Hugo, is there any reason for you not to use Python 2.6 ?

Andi..

Christian