On 11.03.2022 13:52, Christian Heimes wrote:
> On 11/03/2022 10.18, Marc-Andre Lemburg wrote:
>> I think the list is missing some important platforms which we do
>> support (looking at configure):
>>
>> * Linux on 32-bit ARM platforms, e.g. for Raspberry Pis
>> * Linux on Android
>> * AIX
>> * Cygwin
>> * NetBSD/OpenBSD
>> * musl instead of glibc for Linux, e.g. for Alpine images
>
> These platforms are missing on purpose. None of these platforms have a stable
> buildbot and tests are failing on most of them.
>
> - Greg is running an unstable buildbot on an RPi at home, so RPi may fit into
> Tier 3.
>
> - Alpine / musl is not supported, because our test suite is failing due to
> bugs
> and missing features in musl libc.
>
> - NetBSD and OpenBSD are in a similar state as Alpine: no stable buildbot and
> AFAIK tests are failing
>
> - Android is no longer actively maintained
>
> - Cygwin and MinGW are officially unsupported, see bpo-45537 and bpo-45538

If there are people in the community who wish to provide support for
these platforms, I don't see a reason not to keep them in a tier 4.
Such platforms would not be supported by the core team and don't
necessarily need a buildbot (even though it would be good to have them).

I find it problematic that the way Brett has written the proposal essentially
means that we will not accept any PRs to help support platforms which
are not listed in the tables. Could be that I misinterpreted his writeup,
though.

Esp. Android and possibly iOS are platforms which Python should be
targeting in the future, since the story for Python on those platforms
currently is pretty. We shouldn't make it harder to eventually gain
such support and hopefully find new core devs who can maintain them
to become fully supported.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Experts (#1, Mar 11 2022)

               https://www.egenix.com/company/contact/
                     https://www.malemburg.com/