On Fri, Mar 11, 2022 at 1:18 AM Marc-Andre Lemburg <m...@egenix.com> wrote:

> I think the list is missing some important platforms which we do
> support (looking at configure):
>
> * Linux on 32-bit ARM platforms, e.g. for Raspberry Pis
> * Linux on Android
> * AIX
> * Cygwin
> * NetBSD/OpenBSD
> * musl instead of glibc for Linux, e.g. for Alpine images

I went off of what we have stable buildbots for. If we want to either
loosen the tier 3 requirement for a Buildbot or introduce a historical tier
4 we can. But, for instance, do any of us if AIX support actually works
right now?

> In general, I believe we should add a 4th tier for platforms supported
> by interested parties outside the core team. Those would be supported on
> a best effort basis by the parties and we'd point to the teams for
> support. Some of the above platforms would likely have to go into
> this tier.

My worry with that is having to try and keep that information up-to-date.
Plus I would prefer to not have a PEP listing platforms where the status of
the support is 🤷.

> It would also be nice to add a column to the table which shows
> the platforms for which binaries are built during the release and
> which are source only. At the moment, only Windows and
> macOS platforms have official binaries.

I was actually explicitly asked by someone who is part of doing releases
*not* to list installers as they would prefer they not be viewed as
required to exist.

-Brett