On Fri, 11 Mar 2022 at 17:09, Marc-Andre Lemburg <m...@egenix.com> wrote:

> On 11.03.2022 17:42, Zachary Ware wrote:
> >
> > - Only code which either supports a higher-tier platform or is a general
> > improvement may be checked in.
>
> My understanding of that sentence is: PRs which target platforms
> not listed in PEP 11 may not be checked in.
>
> IMO, it doesn't make sense to prohibit support code in the
> code base, if there is community interest in this. By dropping
> that line, we wouldn't have a problem and also don't
> need to list platforms in a tier 4 section, since it's still
> possible to add support in the main code base, without having
> a core dev maintain it.

I agree, the simplest solution here seems to be just to not include
that line. We can still push back on PRs for unsupported platforms if
we want, we just won't have a policy that *requires* us to do so.

If it turns out that leaving it to core devs' judgement is a problem,
we can agree a policy with some concrete examples to inform us.
Paul