On Thu, Jun 6, 2019 at 6:19 AM Victor Stinner <vstin...@redhat.com> wrote:

> Le jeu. 6 juin 2019 à 14:18, Steven D'Aprano <st...@pearwood.info> a
> écrit :
> > i.e. 25-40% longer. Is there a shorter permalink form available, like
> > goo.gl, bitly, youtu.be etc use? That would be awesome if we could use
> > them instead.
>
> I really dislike URL shorteners.
>
> From my point of view, URL shorteners are the opposite of permanent
> links. It adds a new single point of failure.

Unless you run your own shortener... operated it part of the infrastructure
the shortened links will be going to.  In which case the shortened url
service prevents the need to modify each and every application to handle
shorter things on its own.  That way short urls can be made meaningful on
their own to indicate where they link to while still being a friendly to
avoid gross wrapping length.

We could implement our own automatic short namespaces such as
https://url.python.org/mail/ideas/48+bit-random-id

goo.gl and youtu.be are examples of site specific url shorteners already
used this way (now that goo.gl has stopped / is stopping offering itself as
a public bit.ly clone service)

This also avoids one (of many) ways of giving traffic log stats away to a
third party hosting the service.

-gps