On Jun 7, 2019, at 18:03, Victor Stinner <vstin...@redhat.com> wrote:
> I am not sure that we are good at archiving.

I'm not sure what this has to do with mailing list URLs but ...

> Example with Subversion links in the bug tracker:
>
> https://bugs.python.org/issue2001#msg123254
>
> "Added the missing CSS file in r86971."
>
> The revision link is:
> https://hg.python.org/lookup/r86971
>
> Which redirects to the following HTTP 404 (not found) error:
> http://svn.python.org/view?view=revision&revision=86971

This worked for mamy years.  I believe the issue is that the process relied on
the old Subversion source web viewer which has more recently been retired.

> We have a mapping of Subversion commits to... Mercurial commits, but the
> Mercurial server doesn't use it.
>
> Then bugs will migrate to GitHub. I already expect that we will loose some
> data in the long term...
>
> I commonly have to dig into Python history to understand the rationale of a
> change made 10 years ago, if not 15 or 20 years ago. It is becoming more and
> more painful at each migration...

There is an open issue about this that appears to have stalled:

https://github.com/python/core-workflow/issues/12

Perhaps we can interest someone in picking it up.  That would be a big help for
everyone.

--
  Ned Deily
  n...@python.org -- []