On Tue, Feb 25, 2020 at 2:25 AM Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 00:30:41 -0500
> Kyle Stanley <aeros...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > In that case I'm not sure the author ought to get credit for the PR. They
> > can file a bug pointing out the typo and someone else can submit a fix.
> >
> > That sounds like a reasonable solution to me; even for more substantial
> > issues (if signing the CLA is a genuine issue). I think there are a fair
> > number of individuals out there who just want to fix something and aren't
> > concerned with attributions or long-term contributions; they just want to
> > fix the issue for themselves or perhaps for altruistic reasons.
>
> I'd like to point out that the relevant perspective here isn't PSF
> policy as much as copyright law.  Something as trivial as a typo fix
> for sure isn't copyrightable, so there's no point in requiring a CLA
> for it.  For more involved changes, things are less clear, and a court
> would be the final authority; but that's admittedly an argument for
> erring on the side of caution and requiring a CLA for *any* non-trivial
> change.

I don't think anyone disputes that the CLA is needed for any
non-trivial change. The question is, what constitutes a non-trivial
change? Is it subjective? What's the smallest copyrightable edit
(which may or may not be related to the smallest copyrightable piece
of text)? Does it depend on context - is fixing a link more trivial
than fixing a piece of English?

It'd be great to get a lawyer's firm stance on this. On the PEPs repo,
I've merged a good few simple PRs, and don't want to be putting the
PSF into legal trouble.

ChrisA