There is, for better or worse, no bright line about what is copyrightable.
Unfortunately, a lot of the standard is "how deep are the pockets of the
opposing party?"

If you are Oracle and you want to sue Google, code which any normal person
world consider trivial becomes precious intellectual property. Likewise, if
you are Microsoft and you can find a proxy in SCO to sabotage Linux.

If I, as a self-employed freelancer, contribute a couple lines to Python
without a CLA, I'm not going to sue anyone. But if I accept a job with some
huge tech company and sign standard employee agreements, they might, even
against my wishes.