On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 07:39:10 -0400
Edwin Zimmerman <ed...@211mainstreet.net> wrote:
> On 9/5/2020 3:59 AM, Emily Bowman wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 4, 2020 at 3:11 PM Stefan Krah <ste...@bytereef.org
> > <mailto:ste...@bytereef.org>> wrote:
> >

> >     It is not hyperbolic at all. You can get permissions for a certain set
> >     of modules (the stdlib), but not for PyPI packages.
> >
> >     Of course the upgrade is not via the network, that is beside the point.
> >

> > If you can update to a breaking Python version, but aren't allowed one
> > single point version of an external module, you have a process problem.
> The point remains that these situations exist where it is simply impossible
> to run 'pip install xyz' due to network restrictions.  I know this firsthand
> because I have written software for enforcing total internet blocks.  Pushing
> Python to a pip-only module will preclude its use in such situations.  Again,
> this is not hypothetical.  This is the software world I deal with every day.

Unless you rely on an externally-maintained distribution that provides
setuptools for you (such as Anaconda, or others).  They are typically
meant to deal with that kind of situation.  Of course, that does not
invalidate the argument that it would be nice if Python itself could
still be used without dependencies for that.

Regards

Antoine.