On 07Sep2020 1424, Stefan Krah wrote:
On Mon, Sep 07, 2020 at 11:43:41AM +0100, Steve Dower wrote:
Rest assured, I am very aware of air-gapped and limited network systems, as
well as corporate policies and processes. Having distutils in the standard
library does not help with any of these.

Of course it helps.  You can develop extensions without any third party
packages or install them.

Same situation if you are on mobile Internet or in a cafe without Internet
and you want to try something out.

Or if you moved and you don't have cable Internet yet.  Or if you are in
a country where there is no cable Internet.

Air-gapped systems were just an illustration of the problem. I did not
anticipate that people would take it as the centerpiece of my arguments.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that - I used "limited network" to capture the rest. I make exactly the same arguments at work from your side for many other situations, so if you'd like I can give you an even more exhaustive list of scenarios where we can't rely on highly available internet :)

And yet despite that, I think in this case you're clutching at straws. Sure, you can develop extensions without any third party packages, but you can't develop them with *supported* first party packages.

Unless you're offering to take over distutils maintenance? In which case, I'll happily withdraw the PEP :)

Cheers,
Steve