On Sun, 2021-02-21 at 13:04 -0800, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> The main thing from a project maintenance perspective is for platforms
> not become a burden to other code maintainers.  PRs need to be
> reviewed.
> Every #if/#endif in code is a cognitive burden.  So being a minor
> platform
> can come with unexpected breakages that need fixing due to other
> changes
> made in the codebase that did not pay attention to the platform.  As
> we
> cannot expect everyone working on code to care about anything beyond
> the
> tier-1 fully supported platforms, buildbot or not.

I have to disagree -- the support code (even if any is actually
necessary) does not have to be a burden.  Generally 'hobbyists' don't
have a problem that the support for their platform becomes broken
accidentally, or even deliberately because it blocks something else.
They understand that others don't have hardware, time or motivation
to maintain support for their platform properly.

They themselves have limited time to work on it.  So it's entirely fine
for things to break occasionally, and they provide fixes as their time
permits.  They don't ask others to maintain their code.  There's no real
maintenance burden involved.

In fact, this whole thread feels like removing 80%-complete translations
from a program because they 'burden developers' and confuse users.  Even
if the translations are not actively updated and degenerates with
strings changing, some users find them helpful.

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny