Hello,

On Mon, 22 Feb 2021 09:20:46 +0100
Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2021-02-21 at 13:04 -0800, Gregory P. Smith wrote:
> > The main thing from a project maintenance perspective is for
> > platforms to
> > not become a burden to other code maintainers.  PRs need to be
> > reviewed.
> > Every #if/#endif in code is a cognitive burden.  So being a minor
> > platform
> > can come with unexpected breakages that need fixing due to other
> > changes
> > made in the codebase that did not pay attention to the platform.  As
> > we
> > cannot expect everyone working on code to care about anything beyond
> > the
> > tier-1 fully supported platforms, buildbot or not.
>

> I have to disagree -- the support code (even if any is actually
> necessary) does not have to be a burden.  Generally 'hobbyists' don't
> have a problem that the support for their platform becomes broken
> accidentally, or even deliberately because it blocks something else.
> They understand that others don't have hardware, time or motivation
> to maintain support for their platform properly.

That's the problem CPython developers have - they like to remind
they're volunteers (it's not too far-fetched to say they do that work
as a hobby), but they also want to play big corporate types who with
a flick of a wrist shut down systems and throw users in the cold.

It all reminds another recent drama with the "cryptography"
package: https://github.com/pyca/cryptography/issues/5771 . And it's
not surprising that some people on that thread is also here.

Likewise, it's not surprising that some Debian people are on this
thread, with a clear message, just as they have in
https://gist.github.com/tiran/2dec9e03c6f901814f6d1e8dad09528e (which
happened to be linked from the ticket above).

There's a conflict between 2 forms of volunteering. Old-school, still
practiced by Debian, where people volunteer to *maintain* things for
the benefit of other people.

And new-style, along the lines "Hereby I volunteer to smash some Rust
in the face of unsuspecting users" or "I volunteer to pull the rag
under the feet of users of some systems".

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmis...@gmail.com