This, and an earlier letter about the burned of a release manager, confirmes my suspicion that a large share of "maintenance burden" comes from unresolved process issues.

E.g. looks like Victor had been unconvinced that unreliable tests are a serious issue and cost the team so much (including himself since they cause ppl to ignore his buildbot issue reports right back) and had blocked the effort to disable them or whatnot (this is just my guess but Terry's message suggests that he was against resolving it).

I hope this convinces him and will let the team clear this issue at last!

Likewise, half of the bullet points in https://mail.python.org/archives/list/python-dev@python.org/message/LJ3E2UQBPDSFEH7ULNF3QVOYEQYRSAGI/ comes from either ppl trying to bypass the process, or the release manager doing others' jobs that should've already been done had the process been followed.