On 2/22/2021 6:20 AM, Victor Stinner wrote:

To have an idea of the existing maintenance burden, look at emails sent to:
https://mail.python.org/archives/list/buildbot-sta...@python.org/

Every single email is basically a problem. There are around 110 emails
over the last 30 years:

30 days, not years. The 20 visible messages are all have title f"Buildbot worker {worker} missing". All the messages on a day are sent at the same time. Replace with a daily "Builbot workers currently missing"? The individual messages seem useless except possibly if sent to individual buildbot owners.
Multiple buildbots are "unstable": tests are failing randomly. Again,
each failure means a new email. For example, test_asyncio likes to
fail once every 10 runs (coarse average, I didn't check exactly).

I strongly feel that the individual repeatedly failing tests (only 3 or 4 I think) should be disabled and the asyncio people notified. As I remember, you once insisted on keeping routinely failing tests.

By the way, these random failures are not only affecting buildbots,
but also CIs run on pull requests. It's *common* that these failures
prevent to merge a pull request and require manual actions to be able
to merge the PR (usually, re-run all CIs).

For backports, it means closing the backport and reopening by re-adding a backport label to the master PR. This is why I really really want the repeatedly failing tests disabled.

--
Terry Jan Reedy