On 8 Jan 2022 at 00:59:38, jack.jan...@cwi.nl wrote:

> I posted this suggestion earlier in the callable type syntax discussion,
> at which point it was completely ignored. Possibly because it’s a really
> stupid idea, but let me post it again on the off chance that it isn’t a
> stupid idea but was overlooked.
>
> If I can make a wild suggestion: why not create a little language for type
> specifications?

Indeed.

Using the same syntax may have some benefits for language implementors
(e.g. less complex grammar to implement), but I don’t really see these
benefits for language users.

As an example, and I don’t know if this has been discussed before, I think
a pretty neat syntax construct for optional argument would be (like, for
instance, in Kotlin):

def f(x: int? = None): ...

Instead of:

def f(x: Optional[int] = None): …

or

def f(x: int | None = None): …

One could even argue that the “= None” part would be redundant (def f(x:
int?): ...)  and could be made optional. But that would open another can of
worms.

  S.

--
Stefane Fermigier - http://fermigier.com/ - http://twitter.com/sfermigier -