On Sun, Mar 27, 2022 at 3:08 AM Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > 3. Overall, I think the days where "battery included" was a positive
> argument are over
> >
> > I strongly disagree.  Being able to download something and immediately
> get something to work and see results is hugely
> > rewarding; on the other hand, having to research, find, compare &
> contrast available third-party modules (especially for
> > new-comers) can be extremely discouraging.

exactly - let's say someone needs to write some JSON for the first time.

With the json package included, all they need to do is `import json`. If
that wasn't there, they's look in PyPi for a JSON implementation, and find
an absolutely astonishing number of options. I just did a search for "JSON"
 on PYPI, and it's HUGE -- most of them are for specialized JSON-using
protocols of some sort. I was actually really surprised that couple I know
about of the top of my head (ujson, orjson) are actually hard to find.

"You can just pip install it" is really not a good solution.

In fact, this is an example, I think, of where we should put some effort
into making the included batteries better -- it's great to have a JSON lib
built in, but it's too bad that it's not best-of-bread by pretty much any
definition (speed, memory performance, flexibility) -- there are quite a
few feature requests open for it -- it would be nice to
actually implement some of those. (but yes, that's a lot of work that
someone(s) would have to do)

Back to the topic at hand, rather than remove urllib, maybe it could be
made better -- an as-easy-to-use-as-requests package in the stdlib would be
really great.

-CHB

--
Christopher Barker, PhD (Chris)