On Tue, 29 Mar 2022 at 00:37, Toshio Kuratomi <a.bad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing about talking about "make urllib more like requests" that is
> different than any of the other libs, though, is that requests aims to be
> easier to use than anything else (which I note Chris Barker called out as why
> he wanted urllib to be more like it).  I think that's important to think
> about because i think ease of use is also the number one thing that the
> audience you talk about is also looking for.

Agreed, but one thing that I would note is that the more people ask
for changes of this sort of scope, the more this fuels the argument
that maintaining the stdlib is a lot of work. It's fairly obvious that
none of the core developers have the time or energy to invest in the
sort of urllib API change you're suggesting here, so realistically
this simply gives the impression "people don't want urllib, they want
requests". The net result is not that urllib becomes more like
requests, but rather that there's extra pressure to *drop* urllib, and
point people to requests.

Personally, I want *both* urllib and requests. I want urllib for when
I don't want a 3rd party dependency, and requests (or httpx, or
urllib3, ...) for when I can afford one. And if the cost of having
that is that urllib has a less user-friendly API, then I'm willing to
live with that.

Paul