I think to most people "batteries included" doesn't necessarily mean "standard library," with all that implies. It just means "it came with the first thing that I installed" (or alternatively, "at no additional charge").

Given there are *plenty* of existing distros out there that install more than just the standard library for the benefit of their users, and yet the people asking for a fatter stdlib don't seem to want them, perhaps we just need to officially endorse one?

I've got no issue preinstalling a curated sumo.txt into the Windows installers, provided we're clear about support (i.e. none from us) and someone besides me is tracking everything in that curated list. That probably requires new volunteers who are somehow already trustworthy, but that should be easier than people to actually write and maintain new functionality on stdlib timelines.

We would still have to have the "light" distribution, as many of our users wouldn't be able to use a "this is full of unsupported stuff" package, but at least most users could be pointed to the bigger install by default and not even care that the batteries just came in the same package and aren't actually an integral part of the core product.

Cheers,
Steve