On 5/10/2022 9:38 PM, Christopher Barker wrote:
So if you can't entirely drop distutils in the stdlib, I don't think we can count on the rest of the community being able to drop it as well.

The only reason distutils is used to build Python is for self-bootstrapping. setuptools would have to avoid any module that may potentially be built as an extension module if it were to be used at that stage of build, which is unfair (and this use is also likely to become Makefile for Linux and macOS, just as it uses static build scripts on Windows already).

The other uses are tests or tools. There's nothing wrong with setuptools's functionality, merely the fact that it isn't part of the CPython repository and we don't like relying on third-party repositories for a CPython build/test.

Cheers,
Steve