On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 19:57, Bill Janssen <jans...@parc.com> wrote:

> Reid Kleckner <r...@mit.edu> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:14 PM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:
> > > If CPython development moves to distributed hg, the notion of 'blessed'
> > > branches (other than the PSF release branch) will, as I understand it,
> > > become somewhat obsolete. If you make a branch publicly available,
> anyone
> > > can grab it and merge it with their branch, just as they can with
> anyone
> > > elses.
> >
> > It's true that as Martin said, we can rebase our code to Py3K in a
> > branch on python.org any time we like, the question is more "if we do
> > the work, will the Python community accept it".
>
> Of course!  The Python community accepts all optional stuff.
>
> Personally, I think you've done a great job getting this far, and the
> fixes to LLVM alone are worth the effort, IMO.  That PEP is a great
> interim project report.
>
> If what you're really asking is, "will the Python community accept it
> joyfully and enthusiastically, and embrace it to their hearts?", you'll
> have to put in more work to demonstrate real advantages before the
> answer is "yes", I'd think.

I think the question the PEP is posing is "will python-dev accept the
Unladen Swallow work to add an LLVM JIT into the py3k trunk?" My personal
answer is "yes" as it's a nice speed improvement for code that runs more
than once, all while being an optional enhancement for those that don't want
it (whether it is memory, startup, or C++ dependency).

And as for the whole Hg branch thing, this is to merge all of this into the
main branch and not relegate it to some side branch.

-Brett