On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:34 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:
>> How large is the LLVM shared library? One surprising data point is that the
>> binary is much larger than some of the memory footprint measurements given in
>> the PEP.
>
> Could it be that you need to strip the binary, or otherwise remove
> unneeded debug information?

Python is always built with debug information (-g), at least it was in
2.6.1 which unladen is based off of, and we've made sure to build LLVM
the same way.  We had to muck with the LLVM build system to get it to
include debugging information.  On my system, stripping the python
binary takes it from 82 MB to 9.7 MB.  So yes, it contains extra debug
info, which explains the footprint measurements.  The question is
whether we want LLVM built with debug info or not.

Reid