On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 11:37 PM, Glyph Lefkowitz
<gl...@twistedmatrix.com> wrote:

> On Jan 21, 2010, at 6:48 PM, Collin Winter wrote:
>
> Hey Glyph,
>
> There's been a recent thread on our mailing list about a patch that
> dramatically reduces the memory footprint of multiprocess concurrency
> by separating reference counts from objects. We're looking at possibly
> incorporating this work into Unladen Swallow, though I think it should
> really go into upstream CPython first (since it's largely orthogonal
> to the JIT work). You can see the thread here:
> http://groups.google.com/group/unladen-swallow/browse_thread/thread/21d7248e8279b328/2343816abd1bd669
>
> AWESOME.
> Thanks for the pointer.  I read through both of the threads but I didn't see
> any numbers on savings-per-multi-process.  Do you have any?

The data I've seen comes from
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/c18b671f2c4fef9e:

"""
This test code[1] consumes roughly 2G of RAM on an x86_64 with python
2.6.1, with the patch, it *should* use 2.3G of RAM (as specified by
its output), so you can see the footprint overhead... but better page
sharing makes it consume about 6 times less - roughly 400M... which is
the size of the dataset. Ie: near-optimal data sharing.
"""

Collin Winter