--- On Mon, 1/25/10, Steve Howell <showel...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> From: Steve Howell <showel...@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] patch to make list.pop(0) work in O(1) time
> To: "Michael Foord" <fuzzy...@voidspace.org.uk>, "Nick Coghlan"
> <ncogh...@gmail.com>
> Cc: "Christian Heimes" <li...@cheimes.de>, python-dev@python.org
> Date: Monday, January 25, 2010, 8:33 PM
> I made enough of a patch to at least
> get a preliminary benchmark.
>
> The program toward the bottom of this email runs over 100
> times faster with my patch.  The patch still has a ways
> to go--I use a very primitive scheme to reclaim orphan
> pointers (1000 at a time) and I am still segfaulting when
> removing the last element of the list.  But the initial
> results at least confirm that the intended benefit is
> achievable.

Ok, I fixed the obvious segfaults, and I am now able to pass all the tests on
my debug build.  A new diff is attached.

There is still at least one bug in my code in listextend, which the tests do
not seem to expose, so I will try to at least beef up the test suite a bit.

I really like listobject.c.  Very clean code, very easy to understand.  I guess
I shouldn't be surprised.