--- On Tue, 1/26/10, Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> From: Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org>
> Subject: Re: [Python-Dev] patch to make list.pop(0) work in O(1) time
> To: "Steve Howell" <showel...@yahoo.com>
> Cc: "Nick Coghlan" <ncogh...@gmail.com>, python-dev@python.org
> Date: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 11:17 AM
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:01 AM,
> Steve Howell <showel...@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
> > The patch is now on Rietveld.
> >
> > http://codereview.appspot.com/194083/show
> >
> > I wsa getting HTTP errors for certain operations, like
> trying to publish comments, but I am able to see the patch
> there.
>
> Hey Steve,
>
> You seem to be using Rietveld in a slightly odd fashion
> which prevents
> the side-by-side diff and commenting feature fro working.
>
> Try downloading Rietveld's "upload.py" script
> (http://codereview.appspot.com/static/upload.py) and
> uploading your
> patch again from your SVN client, using
>
>   upload.py -i 194083
>
> (This will require the email and password you used to
> upload the issue
> in the first place.)

Ok, I just ran upload.py with my patch.  It shows up on Rietveld, but I am
still getting 500 errors when I attempt to publish my own comments, so I am not
sure what I'm doing wrong.

The version that I just uploaded was my working copy, which was off of the 3.x
trunk.

The version that I attempted to upload earlier, via the URL feature, was
slightly different--Florent had taken my changes, applied them to 2.x, cleaned
up tabs/spaces, and posted his diff to the issue tracker:

http://bugs.python.org/issue7784

The content of both patches is the same otherwise.

I suspect the patch has lots of minor cleanup that needs to be done, but I
should point out one major design decision that probably needs to be addressed
first.  I chose to store the number of orphans vs. storing the pointer to the
originally allocated memory.  There was no rhyme or reason for my decision,
other than it was just how I initially got my head around the problem.  The
tradeoffs should be pretty obvious--there are places where it's convenient to
work with the count, but it comes at the cost of pointer arithmetic in other
places.