On 1/28/2010 11:57 PM, Steve Howell wrote:
> --- On Thu, 1/28/10, Josiah Carlson <josiah.carl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> [...] in the decade+ that I've been using
>> Python and
>> needed an ordered sequence; lists were the right solution
>> 99% of the
>> time [...]
>
> What do you think of LISP, and "car" in particular (apart from the stupidly
> cryptic name)?

A LISP list/pair has nothing to do with a Python list. The list of LISP
is a *singly-linked* list. You cannot O(1) index a LISP list. A Python
list is more equivalent to a LISP vector, which "car" does not work
with; in fact, there is not even a "pop" operator -- all size changes of
a vector O(n) unless the implementation is playing games (like the one
you are proposing for the start and the one Python already uses for the
end of a list).

(And with this, clearly uninformed reply by you, I am now ignoring your
trolling.)

--
Scott Dial
sc...@scottdial.com