On 25.02.2011 01:19, Antoine Pitrou wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Georg and I have been working on converting the SVN repository to
> Mercurial. We can now present you a test repository (actually, two).

The implied agenda is that we would be *very* happy if we could do the
final conversion during PyCon (we both won't be attending, so we have
plenty of time ;)  -- so that the sprints can already benefit from the
agility provided by hg.

That's a timescale of around two weeks, which should be plenty for
testing.

> CPython repository: http://hg.python.org/cpython/
> ------------------
>
> This is the main conversion repository. It contains all history of
> trunk and py3k (since 1990!) up to now, including all maintenance
> branches starting from 2.0 up to 3.2.
>
> If you are a core developer, get your local clone of the repository
> using:
>
>     $ hg clone ssh://h...@hg.python.org/cpython
>
> (this uses the same SSH key as your Subversion access; for more
> information about Mercurial and SSH keys, see the converted development
> FAQ: http://potrou.net/hgdevguide/faq.html#faq )

[...]

> You can commit and even push to this repository (the latter if you are a
> core developer).  Since this is a test repository, whatever you push
> will be discarded when we do the final conversion.

So, to stress this point:  Please *do* experiment, commit and push stuff
to this repository, especially if you've not worked with hg before.  You
can break nothing (or if you do, it's not your fault :)

Georg