Le 28/07/2011 11:03, M.-A. Lemburg a écrit :
Victor Stinner wrote:
Hi,

Three weeks ago, I posted a draft on my PEP on this mailing list. I
tried to include all remarks you made, and the PEP is now online:

    http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0400/

It's now unclear to me if the PEP will be accepted or rejected. I don't
know what to do to move forward.

The PEP still compares apples and oranges, issues and features,

I don't know how to write a PEP and this is my first PEP. I think that it is possible to compare two classes using a list of issues and features. How should I change the PEP to compare comparable things?

and doesn't cover the fact that it is proposing to not just deprecate
a feature, but a part of a design concept which will then no longer
be available in Python.

The "Usage of StreamReader and StreamWriter" section tries to list usages of these classes, and "Deprecate StreamReader and StreamWriter" section explains that these classes will be removed. I agree that these sections are short, but I don't know what to add.

Could you please enhance these sections?

I'm still -1 on that part of the PEP.

Ok.

As I mentioned before, having
codecs.open() changed to be a wrapper around io.open() in Python 3.3,
should be investigated. If it doesn't cause too much trouble, this
would be a good idea.

I did already try on the full Python test suite, and all test pass. I don't know if it's representative.

Please do keep the original implementation
around (e.g. renamed to codecs.open_stream()), though, so that it's
still possible to get easy-to-use access to codec StreamReader/Writers.

I will add your alternative to the PEP (except if you would like to do that yourself?). If I understood correctly, you propose to:

 * rename codecs.open() to codecs.open_stream()
 * change codecs.open() to reuse open() (and so io.TextIOWrapper)

(and don't deprecate anything)

Add a new function to Python 3.3 means that we will have to maintain it for later versions. It's just the opposite of my proposition :-)

Victor