On 2011-08-27, at 2:20 PM, Dan Stromberg wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Brian Curtin <brian.cur...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 11:48, Dan Stromberg <drsali...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, this was not the intent of __future__. The intent is that a
> feature is desirable but also backwards incompatible (e.g. introduces
> a new keyword) so that for 1 (sometimes more) releases we require the
> users to use the __future__ import.
>
> There was never any intent to use __future__ for experimental
> features. If we want that maybe we could have from __experimental__
> import <whatever>.
>
> OK.  So what -is- the purpose of from __future__ import?
>
> It's in the first paragraph.
>
> I disagree.  The first paragraph says this has something to do with new
> keywords.  It doesn't appear to say what we expect users to -do- with it.
> Both are important.
>
> Is it "You'd better try this, because it's going in eventually.  If you don't
> try it out before it becomes default behavior, you have no right to complain"?
>
> And if people do complain, what are python-dev's options?

__future__ imports have nothing to do with "trying stuff before it comes", it
has to do with backward compatibility. For example, the "with_statement" was a
__future__ import because introducing the "with" keyword would break any code
using "with" as a token. I don't think that the goal of introducing "with" as a
future import was "we're gonna see how it pans out, and decide if we really
introduce it later".

__future__ means "It's coming, prepare your code".