On Sun, Aug 28, 2011 at 3:48 AM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:

> These are reasons why both Ezio and I suggested on the tracker adding regex
> without deleting re. (I personally would not mind just replacing re with
> regex, but then I have no legacy re code to break. So I am not suggesting
> that out of respect for those who do.)

I would actually prefer to replace re.

Before doing that we should make a list of all the differences between the
two modules (possibly in the PEP).  On the regex page on PyPI there's
already a list that can be used for this purpose [0].
For bug fixes it *shouldn't* be a problem if the behavior changes.  New
features shouldn't bring any backward-incompatible behavioral changes, and,
as far as I understand, Matthew introduced the NEW flag [1], to avoid
problems when they do.

I think re should be kept around only if there are too many
incompatibilities left and if they can't be fixed in regex.

Best Regards,
Ezio Melotti

[0]: http://pypi.python.org/pypi/regex/0.1.20110717
[1]: "The NEW flag turns on the new behaviour of this module, which can
differ from that of the 're' module, such as splitting on zero-width
matches, inline flags affecting only what follows, and being able to turn
inline flags off."