If so, it would be like the decimal
module, which closely tracks the IEEE decimal standard, rather than the
binary float standard.

Well, I would hope that for each "major" Python version (i.e. 3.2,
3.3, 3.4, ...) we would pick a specific version of the Unicode
standard and declare our desire to be compliant with that Unicode
standard version, and not switch allegiances in some bugfix version
(e.g. 3.2.3, 3.3.1, ...).

Definitely. The unicode version would have to be frozen with beta 1 if not before. (I am quite sure the decimal module also freezes the IEEE standard version *it* follows for each Python version.)

In my view, x.y is a version of the Python language while the x.y.z CPython releases are progressively better implementations of that one language, starting with x.y.0. This is the main reason I suggested that the first CPython release for the 3.3 language be called 3.3.0, as it now is. In this view, there is no question of an x.y.z+1 release changing the definition of the x.y language.

--
Terry Jan Reedy