> I don't really understand why the releases should be manually listed.
> Is it some kind of defensive coding?

I think it's to give people who care about such things all the
information they need to make informed decisions. As I recall, the 1.6
series was problematic, because it wasn't actually open source. That's
why 2.0 is a derivative of 1.5.2. I doubt there are other licensing
weirdities lurking, but better to give people everything they might
need, especially if it's not difficult. At this point I think the hard
work is done. Release managers or their minions just need to remember
to tack on the next line.

Skip