On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 9:08 AM Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org> wrote:

> Wow. Such thread. :-)
>
> This patch could save companies like Dropbox a lot of money. We run a ton
> of Python code in large datacenters, and while we are slow in moving to
> Python 3, we're good at updating to the latest 2.7.

Dropbox should be compiling its own interpreter with whatever patches it
deems appropriate. The people it'll save resources for are companies not
enlightened enough to do that: thousands of them, generally small or
non-tech focused :)

The patch is forward and backward compatible.I'm strongly in favor.

+1 I'm in favor as well.  I mostly wanted to make sure that people were
aware of profile-opt builds and that it was being compared.  Sounds like
both benefit, even used together.  Win win.

This is a 100% API compatible change.  It just rearranges the interpreter
loop on compilers enlightened enough to allow it.  I was always bummed that
it didn't make it into 2.7 itself.  But given the world+dog is going to
have 2.7 around and kicking for a long time, lets save the world some CPU
cycles (read: carbon) for little effort.  Very practical.  Good for the
world.

People who need to save orders of magnitude more cycles shouldn't use an
interpreter. ie: PyPy. Or consider the costs of moving to a compiled
language.

-gps