On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 12:25 PM, Sturla Molden <sturla.mol...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Many Unix tools need Python, so Mac OS X (like Linux distros and FreeBSD)
> will always need a system Python. Yes, it would be great if could be called
> spython or something else than python. But the main problem is that it is
> used by end-users as well, not just the operating system.

I think it's great for it to be used by end users as a system library /
utility. i.e. like you would a the system libc -- so if you can write a
little python script that only uses the stdlib -- you can simply deliver
that script.

But if you want to go an install a bunch of extra non-standard packages
(or, for heaven's sake, want a version with bug fixes!), they you really
are better off installing a new python you can control.

The system
> Python should be left alone as it is.

absolutely!

By the way, py2app will build an application bundle that depends on the
system python, indeed, that's all it will do if you run it with the system
python, as Apple has added some non-redistributable bits in there. But
things get kin dof confusing if you want to rely on non-system packages...

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

chris.bar...@noaa.gov