On 09. 01. 19 9:52, Johannes Lips wrote:
On 09/01/2019 09:34, Miro Hrončok wrote:
Hi, we've successfully removed Python 2 from default Workstation installation years ago, today I'd like to see if we could do it in Xfce Spin as well.

For those not in the picture: Python 2 ill EOL in 11 months, 22 days [0].
We are trying to get rid of it as much as possible in Fedora [1][2].

Eliminating Python 2 from our defualt installations is an important step here.

Today, if I try to uninstall python2 from Xfce spin (rawhide), this is what gets removed as dependent:

  NetworkManager-openconnect-gnome
  blueberry
  gnumeric
  python2-catfish
  system-config-keyboard
  system-config-users

Several others go as no longer needed, mostly python2 libs, but also:

  NetworkManager-openconnect
  bluez-obex
  bluez-tools
  openconnect
  wmctrl

While I doubt the actual usefulness of gnumeric, what bothers me is:

1. It seems that the Bluetooth stack is entirely gone. Do we have an viable alternative?

2. If openconnect is not needed on Workstation, why is it needed in Xfce?

3. Can we set keyboards/users with some alternatives? system-config-* still link to fedorahosted as upstream and haven't received an update in years. They seem pretty upstream dead to me.

4. Catfish is Python 3 compatible, but the Fedora maintainer is not [4].
We can just switch to the python3 package catfish-python3, should be good enough, or?

That package has bad usability, nobody wants to use the command "catfish-py3" instead of "catfish" or see "Catfish(py3)" in the menu.

There is no point of having python3-catfish and python2-catfish. Yet the maintainer does not have the intention to fix their broken package.

Zbyszek just merged my catfish commit, but I'm prepared for a revert from the maintainer.

--
Miro Hrončok