On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 at 01:17, Greg Ewing <greg.ew...@canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

> Paul Moore wrote:
> > So you're proposing a change to the Python
> > language stdlib implementation of that translation. Fine. But you have
> > yet to provide a justification for such a change,
>
> I think it can be justified on the grounds that it allows all of the
> information in the JSON text to be preserved during both deserialisation
> and serialisation.
>
> Seems to me this is objectively better. You can always discard
> information you don't need, but you can't get it back if you need
> it and it's not there.

Agreed. *That* is a reasonable justification. Whether it's sufficient
to get the change accepted to Python remains to be seen, but that can
be decided once a PR is submitted.

Backward compatibility probably requires that it be opt-in, and the
reduced performance and import cost of Decimal probably means it needs
care to implement it efficiently, without reducing performance for
people who don't opt into it, but those are details that can be
thrashed out in the implementation.

So IMO, the next step is probably an issue on bpo, combined with a PR
implementing the proposed behaviour. I don't think this is big enough
to need a PEP, and I don't think any more debate is really needed
here. Someone motivated and able to do the work is really what's
needed next.

Paul