On Tue, Dec 31, 2019, at 22:18, Andrew Barnert via Python-ideas wrote:
> I’m just feeling out whether either one is so horrible that any larger
> proposal (which I don’t have in anywhere near ready-to-share form yet)
> would have to be rejected on that basis. (Which I think is a serious
> possibility. Something about if-try still smells weird to me in a way I
> haven’t figured out yet.)

1) I think it's not particularly to be useful for other kinds of
exception-raising conditions
2) neither destructuring lists nor subscripts/attributes are valid targets for
the := operator now.

Neither of these constructs seems to be particularly useful outside the other
one, which suggests to me they should not be orthogonal in the way you have
proposed. Is there a good reason for wanting them to be, or do you just see
that as the best way to get a nice looking syntax?

I bring up (2) mainly because you mentioned "any syntactically valid target"
with the suggestion of using subscripts and attributes in another reply,
without any apparent regard for either the fact that these were excluded from
PEP 572 or the reasons for doing so.